Archive for June 2007
The contaminated zone encompasses at least 55 acres of northern Brooklyn…
..and it’s moving, like a living thing. Hydrocarbon and other spills dating back over a hundred years have pooled beneath the streets of New York, and are now gathering and rising, ready to claim their own…There is talk of vapours, residuals, and glazes. Some speak simply of “The Ooze”:
Elsewhere, a border fence begins a muted, atonal clang and hum, a dirge for its own existence that ramifies and spreads across the globe from Nogales to Nablus…the world resounds to the noise of structures in pain, begging for their own death.
And if the Greenpoint Blob could be wired for sound, and communicate with the other sumps and sheeny oozes that must exist beneath every city on every continent, what threnodies and laments would we hear then?
Loose Objects, undated (3 small boxes and 1 item; not scanned)
First small box contains:
* Moth specimen in small rectangular box (with a note from Benton attached, indicating that she intended to give it as a gift to Lane [Faison])
* Papier-mache pull-toy horse with notes in square cardboard box
* Stuffed bird figures, matchboxes, plastic toy, clockhands, and metal pendents in small round box
* Box containing cloth from the funeral car and flowers from the funeral wreath of Ulysses S. Grant (with notes identifying material and indicating that it was “presented by Rev. Stephen Merritt”)
Second small box contains:
* Paperweight, container of buttons, wood and cork pieces, wooden beads, piece of driftwood, and small bell in square cardboard box
* Metal grasshopper figure
Third small box contains:
* Metal pencil case (rusted)
* Plastic dolls
* Shell box
Item: Round wooden box (6-3/4″ in diameter)
A found poem, from the papers of Joseph Cornell. Via Moon River.